Monday, March 17, 2014

Tomato Pappu / Tomato Dal

Tomato Pappu is a simple, comforting dal from the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. My father and his siblings grew up in Andhra Pradesh, so they regard all things connected with the state with a lot of love. Not surprisingly, their cooking is influenced by Andhra cuisine as well. My paternal grandmother was a great cook, and so are my aunts. They make the most deliciously spicy food that's a hybrid of Tamil and Telugu cooking! It's a pity my grandmother passed away when I was really young. I unfortunately haven't tasted (or remember tasting) her food, and never got to learn any of her signature recipes directly from her. My aunts are, of course, carrying on the tradition. And I have so much to learn from them!

Anyway, this pappu is a darling favorite of everyone in my family. My father and my uncles need nothing else if there is a pot of tomato pappu! My mother and I love it too, so it's often made in our household. My earliest memories of having pappu are with my grandfather. He used to eat avakkai rice (avakkai is a spicy mango pickle from Andhra Pradesh) along with pappu. Everyone in my paternal family loves spicy food. So, all our meals started with a "pickle course" - i.e., rice mixed with spicy pickles. It was such a norm at our meals, that even a spice-intolerant person like me, fell in line to follow the tradition! To this day, I love pappu with avakkai or any mango pickle. It elevates the taste of pappu and brings back warm memories.

 
This is a deceptively simple dish that seems similar to any tomato dal. But, this has its own unique blend of favors.

Ingredients (serves 4):
  1. 1 cup toor dal / red gram / yellow lentils / tuvaram paruppu
  2. 3 tomatoes, small-medium, chopped
  3. 2 pods of garlic, crushed (optional)
  4. 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
  5. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
  6. 1 teaspoon coriander powder
  7. 2 teaspoons sambar powder
  8. 1 teaspoon salt, or as needed
  9. 1 tablespoon vegetable / olive oil
  10. 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
  11. 1/4 teaspoon hing / asafoetida
  12. 4 curry leaves, torn
  13. Juice of 1 lemon
  14. 2 tablespoons coriander leaves / cilantro, chopped
Preparation:
  1. Wash and rinse the toor dal. Cook with 3 cups of water and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. When the pressure settles, whisk the dal and mash/break it down into a smooth mixture. If not using a pressure cooker, cook in a pan until dal is completely cooked and mushy. 
  2. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, green chillies and hing. Add crushed garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Add salt, coriander powder and sambar powder and cook the tomatoes really well until they leave the sides of the pan and almost all the water in the tomatoes evaporate. The tomatoes should be pasty (this is an important step for this dal)
  4. Add the cooked dal to the cooked tomatoes and mix well. Cook the dal with 1/2 cup of water on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the dal absorbs all the spices. Add more water, if needed. This pappu will be thicker than usual dal. 
  5. Finally remove from heat and add the juice of 1 lemon and mix well. (adjust the lemon juice depending on the tartness of the tomatoes and lemon). 

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or rotis. And don't forget to try this dish with avakkai!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.