Saturday, March 29, 2014

Apple Pear and Almond Clafoutis

While browsing for dessert recipes in this book, my eye locked onto this dish. I love fruit based desserts because it makes me feel less guilty while baking! I also love cardamom flavored desserts to the point of obsession. I add cardamom to almost any dessert or dish. So when I saw "cardamom" in this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I am shockingly predictable in many ways!

But, I did adapt and change a few things from the recipe. I did borrow the basic structure, because I'd never baked clafoutis or even eaten one. So, I started by using pears and apples instead of peaches. I think the natural sweetness of both apples and pears complement each other and enhance the taste quotient of any dessert. I also added more almond flour and reduced the quantity of all-purpose flour, used low fat milk, and yes, I increased the quantity of ground cardamom :). The original recipe calls for 4 pods of cardamom seeds... and I laughed to myself! The seeds of 4 cardamom pods are what I add for one cup of tea for myself. It's not enough for an entire dessert! ;)

Anyway, here's my tweaked recipe. The clafoutis was awesome! It was mild, fragrant, and so flavorful. The dish didn't brown as much as the pictures in the book, and the texture was different, but I went for three helpings - unheard of when it comes to desserts!

I am really enjoying The French Market Cookbook!




Ingredients (serves 6):
  1. 2 pears, peeled and sliced
  2. 1 apple, peeled and sliced
  3. 3/4 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
  4. 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  5. 1/2 cup sugar
  6. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  7. 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (freshly cardamom)
  8. 1 cup 2% milk
  9. 3 eggs
Preparation: 
  1. Grease/butter a 8 or 9 inch rectangular  or square baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 F. 
  2. Line the apple and pears at the bottom of the baking dish. 
  3. Mix the dry ingredients - almond flour, all purpose flour, sugar, cornstarch and cardamom. 
  4. Add the eggs to the dry ingredients and whisk well. Do not over mix. Drizzle in milk and mix. 
  5. Pour the batter on top of the fruits and bake for 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.  
Let the dish cool and serve at room temperature with a dollop of vanilla yogurt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.