Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Eggless Lime & Ginger Cake

On a certain day at the grocery store, I couldn't find any individual limes. So, I got a big bag of limes to make some salads and juices. But after numerous salads and juices, the limes were still aplenty. My husband was constantly fretting over the limes going bad and kept subtly suggesting that I make something sweet with them - perhaps a cake or a cupcake? Hint received.

When the holidays rolled around and I had some time on my hands, I tweaked my lemon cake recipe to prepare this version of a lime & ginger cake.

The limes I had were unusually sweet and not as tart as usual. They were quite mild, actually. So check the tartness and sweetness of your limes to adapt the measurements as required.

Ingredients:
  1. 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 1 cup sugar
  3. the zest of 3 limes
  4. 1.5 tablespoons lime juice
  5. 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
  6. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  7. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  8. 1 cup milk (2% is fine)
  9. 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Glaze: 
  1. 1/4 cup lime juice
  2. 1 tablespoon sugar
  3. the zest of 1 lime
  4. 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger 
Preparation:
  1. Prepare dry ingredients: Sift and mix - flour, baking soda and salt. Mix sugar into it.
  2. Prepare wet ingredients: Whisk lime zest and grated ginger with milk. Add oil and mix/whisk.
  3. Slowly add/fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. 
  4. Finally stir in the lime juice. 
  5. Pour batter into a buttered 9 inch cake pan. Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
  6. For the glaze:
    1. Mix lime juice and sugar and heat for 5-7 minutes until sugar is dissolved and the syrup is warm. Stir in powdered ginger to the syrup.
Let the cake cake cool for 15 minutes. Since I didn't want the glaze to upstage the ginger by turning the cake too lime-y, I didn't let the cake steep in the glaze.


Serve by drizzling some of the glaze on top of the cake and sprinkling some lime zest on top. Lime and ginger make a lovely pairing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.