Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Butternut Squash and Kale Soup with Coconut Milk

I love love LOVE butternut squash. It is one of my favorite fall squashes. I love its buttery, sweet and nutty taste. Unfortunately, the husband hates it as much I love it. He also hates Kale with a passion. But I have made it a practice to buy at least 2 bunches of Kale every week and use them in smoothies, juices, and cooking. Those who wonder why I'm weird enough to make cheesecake and Kale juice the same day - here's my explanation - I have to appease the husband in someway! I'm trying to balance out everything. And really, Kale juice doesn't taste bad! Give Kale a chance.

So, this was a soup that I optimistically prepared, only to finish the entire pot all by myself - the husband wouldn't so much as lay eyes on it after one meal. I had this soup for lunch and dinner for 3 whole days straight - and eventually even I couldn't bare to see Kale for a few days.

After all that honest confession, here's another confession - it does taste good. The butternut squash and coconut milk mask the slightly bitter and pungent taste of Kale. Honestly. I also added other veggies such as onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots and celery. But if you don't like butternut squash, I can't convince you to give this a shot, because it really dominates the flavor of this soup!


Ingredients (serves 7):
  1. 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
  2. 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
  3. 1 onion, chopped
  4. 2 tomatoes, chopped
  5. 2 celery stalks, chopped
  6. 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  7. 5-6 cups water or vegetable stock
  8. 6 Kale leaves, chopped
  9. 1 can coconut milk (1 cup)
  10. 3 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning (herb de provence)
  11. 2 teaspoons cumin powder
  12. 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  13. Salt as needed
  14. Cracked black pepper, as needed
  15. 4 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation:
  1. Heat oil in a heavy soup pot. When hot, add Italian herb seasoning and onions and saute until onions turn translucent.
  2. Add yellow pepper, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
  3. Add butternut squash and Kale and saute for 5 minutes along with salt. 
  4. Add tomatoes, vegetable stock/water and bring everything to a boil. Add more water/stock, if needed. 
  5. Add turmeric powder and cumin powder, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
  6. Grind the soup to desired consistency (immersion blenders are great to have), add coconut milk and heat the soup for 5 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat and serve with black pepper and some cumin powder
The soup tastes sweet and nutty, with only a hint of Kale... promise.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Neeraja,

    (I don’t know how to catch your attention but hopefully you could spare me a minute to read this message.)

    My name is Freddy. Surfing on the net I found your blog and noticed you have a great number of tasty recipes there, that is why I am contacting you. I wonder if you would like join our website www.mytaste.com and receive more visitors to your blog through making your recipes available to a greater number of internet users.

    Mytaste.com has been launched recently and from the first day it has gained popularity among food lovers. Today the site can be found in 45 countries, where we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some Top Food Blogs on our pages receive more than 20 thousands unique visitors a week.

    Recently and to improve the user experience and develop their loyalty we added social features that allow our users to create cookbooks, save recipes and follow other users. This means that when a recipe from your blog is saved, the user will always have the opportunity of visiting your blog again.

    So, if this sounds like a good plan to you, please visit our website & add your blog through the Top Food Blogs section here: www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog There you will find all the instructions you need to follow to become a part of our bloggers family.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!
    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at info@mytaste.com

    Warm regards,
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freddy, thank you so much for your message and for inviting my blog to be a part of mytaste.com. Mytaste.com looks great! I will find some time to include this blog into your impressive repertoire of blogs.
      Thanks again for getting in touch.
      Regards.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.