Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Eggless Lemon Cake

My family members are ardent fans of Starbucks - coffee, muffins, breads, cakes, etc. For a while now, I have been trying to recreate their lemon cake/lemon loaf. Ina Garten's lemon loaf/lemon yogurt cake recipe is excellent and according to me, is even better than the Starbucks' version. But the recipe requires eggs. Wanting the best of both worlds, I have been trying to bake an eggless lemon cake that  at least comes close to the real deal. Adapting from Piece of Cake, this is the recipe I used to make the eggless version.



Ingredients:
  1. 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 1 cup sugar
  3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  4. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  5. 1 - 1.25 cups milk (I used 1.25 cups of 2% milk)
  6. The zest of two whole lemons (a lot, I know)
  7.  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  8. 1 tablespoon  lemon juice
  9. 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used just a little more than 1/4 cup because I added extra milk)
For the glaze: You need 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar. Heat the sugar and juice on medium heat, constantly stirring, until the sugar completely dissolves and makes a syrup of desired consistency. You can't go wrong with this. This glaze makes a difference to the cake - trust me. Do not skip it.

Preparation:
  1. Butter/grease an 8 or 9 inch pan (I used a 9 inch pan). Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  2. Mix the dry ingredients (advisable to sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together). Mix in sugar along with the flour-soda-salt. 
  3. Separately mix the wet ingredients, except lemon juice. I was nervous of directly adding it to milk. First whisk together the milk, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and then whisk in the oil. 
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir slowly and gently until just incorporated. Finally, add the lemon juice and give a final stir. The batter will look fizzy and more liquid-y than usual cake batters. It's fizzy because of all the lemon, soda, salt action. Don't worry, the cake will turn out fine. 
  5. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then gently loosen the cake by running a knife around the edges and flip it onto a plate. With a fork, poke some holes on top of the cake. Pour the lemon syrup/glaze over the cake and let it soak in for 15 minutes or more before serving. It's not necessary to use all the syrup. Use as required. 


The cake is intensely lemony, moist, and quite light. It's not dense or chewy, but arguably not as fluffy as the version that takes eggs. Still, people liked it and went for second helpings! This is a good lemon cake that's easy to make to go alongside coffee and tea. 


39 comments:

  1. Omg i loooove love love this recipe. I was a bit unsure of the eggless part as well as the amount of lemon zest but it turned out marvelously. Thank you so much.
    My mum who is usually very hard to please, loved it :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yovani, Thank you so much your comment! I am really glad the recipe didn't disappoint! Yay! Great that you and your mom enjoyed the cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake is sooooo sooooo good. I loved the fact that its eggless and still so fluffy! Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deval! Appreciate your comment. Very happy that you liked the cake and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! What a yum cake! Just made it and had it with vanilla ice cream - delicious. I think it'd be even more amazing with lemon ice cream. Thanks for the great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Glad the recipe didn't disappoint :)

      Delete
  6. i just made this as is..it turned out to be super yummmy.. You just have to cool it down for an hour or two..thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be keeping this recipe forever :)Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately mine is still in the oven after one hour and doesnt seem to be cooking any furtherm the middle is still wet and I even cut out a piece from the edge but is really doughy. )=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that.. not sure what went wrong

      Delete
  9. This is a great recipe! So easy and it worked out great. I added yoghurt instead of milk with great results. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding yogurt is a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  10. :) Awesome cake Neeraja. Lemon in cake was something new to me, and it was just too good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey…do i need to beat the mixture extensively or can mix it by hand?My mixer broke today and i need to bake a cake for tonight..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't need to use a beater/mixer. It comes out better if mixed gently. Hope it turns out well for you!

      Delete
  12. Tried it today for a special occasion and my hubby just loved it :) the taste was out of the world :) i substituted curd for milk and it came out super fluffy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know :). Glad it turned out well! Curd is a good substitution.

      Delete
  13. Tried this again yesterday - minus the glaze cos Guha didn't like the glazy lemony flavor last time ... turned out super awesome too. But had one question... the center bottom of the cake didn't drop off and got stuck to the cake bowl. Any tips here? Do I need to keep it longer ? Do I need to let it cool completely before turning it over for the cake to drop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aparna, glad you tried this again! I think the cake needed to cool a little longer. If you have a cooling rack or any slightly raised grill that allows for the bottom of the pan/cake to also cool, it will be helpful. Else just cool until the pan is almost at room temperature and then loosen the edges to invert the cake. You could also line the bottom of the pan with a parchment/wax paper to doubly ensure that the bottom doesn't stick to the pan. Hope these help :)

      Delete
  14. Hey I'm trying to put together a birthday cake for a little dinner party i'm throwing this weekend. I really want to incorporate semolina flour with the AP flour, however I'm worried to have a flop recipe. Do you think if I replace 1/2 cup of semolina flour that it'll make any huge differences? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there... thanks for visiting. As for your question... unfortunately, I have not tried baking with semolina flour, so I don't think I can knowledgeably guide you. Please take my comments with a grain of salt. Based on what I have learned on baking flours, semolina flour has a high protein content, and develops more gluten, so it is commonly used in baking breads (or making pasta). There are a few cake recipes that use fine semolina flour, but I have not come across a recipe that combines AP flour with semolina flour. So i have no idea what the ideal ratio of AP: Semonlina should be, or if one can be substituted with the other. Sorry I'm not of much help
      I would recommend not to experiment with a birthday cake/dinner party :). Try baking just with semolina flour (finely ground) if you need to absolutely use it. But, I don't think this particular recipe (lemon cake) would work with semolina

      Delete
  15. hi what can we use instead of lemon zest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry about the late reply. Instead of lemon zest, you use a a teaspoon of lemon extract or a few drops of lemon oil

      Delete
  16. I gave this a shot today and it turned out deliciously! It just occurred to me that I may have accidentally used 1.5 cups of milk, but thankfully it caused no harm! Will definitely be making this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Hopefully the additional milk made the cake moist and yummy :)

      Delete
  17. Neeraja. .. had a question. Instead of milk I see that a couple of folks have used curd ... would you know how many cups curd? Same measure as milk (1 cup )?

    ReplyDelete

  18. Loved the recipe..... substituted 1/2 cup flour with Suji. Gave the cake a nice texture...

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Neeraja,

    I was just surfing the web for lemon cake. and found this recipe on
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/eggless-lemon-cake-52798991

    and than I saw your entry.

    Both are same word to word.

    I checked the date of your entry which is old and than checked their post its new.

    have you submitted it there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!
      No, i did not submit the recipe to epicurious. It is a case of plagiarism, which is quite disappointing.
      In any case, hope you try this out!

      Delete
  20. Hi. Can we reduce your recipe to exact half? As want to try smaller version. Pls let me know asap. Thnx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply... I don't think this recipe would work if the recipe is halved. Baking is more of a science and the chemistry of the ingredients wouldn't work if the quantities are changed.

      Delete
  21. I made this delicious �� for my birthday last weekend, and you're right about the glaze. I used a loaf tin instead of a round cake tin. After I'd Googled the gas temperature,it actually took close to an hour to cook through. I think next time I'll use a round tin. I will definitely be making this cake on a regular basis. Thank you for an easy and fault free recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the recipe worked for you! Belated happy birthday :)

      Delete
  22. Hi Neeraja Maami. Guha here. How much temperature do we bake this at?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Guha, the baking temperature is 350 Fahrenheit, which is 180 Celsius

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Neeraja Maami. Can I use hot milk or will the milk curdle if it is hot?
    - Guha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Guha, good question! Please don't use hot milk, it will change the chemistry of the ingredients and the cake will not turn out well. It's always best to use all ingredients at room temperature

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.