Sunday, May 27, 2012

Nutella Mug Cake

Anand finished his first half-marathon today! He was so disciplined about the training and enthusiastically counted down the days. And, of course, he has shed even more weight. Those who see him would have no idea that his wife does feed him. 

To commemorate his strenuous accomplishment and to re-fatten him up a little, I thought I would bake this 5-minute chocolate mug cake. I came across this recently and immediately noted it down. It sounded simple and easy, and it seemed like a good idea to bake a couple of small mug-cakes to nibble on for a day or two. So, I tried it today and it turned into a gigantic, souffle-like chocolate lava that set in mid-eruption. Hmm, and I thought this would be a "small" treat. The cake rises quite a bit, so grab the biggest mug on hand.


But, this is still a great recipe! I recommend it.  It's super easy to make, and the cake turned out to be super moist and super chocolatey. It took exactly 3 minutes on my microwave to bake this cake. It really is a 5 minute cake! One thing that I should mention (just common baking lesson) - mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.


Of course, in our case, two overflowing mug-cakes didn't really help with my motivation to make a simple and small dessert. I would advise dividing the batter (that's needed to prepare 1 mug-cake) into 2 mugs and baking them for one and a half minutes each.

6 comments:

  1. Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) yumyum Hey - What do I do incase I dont want to use eggs here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about the same thing :). Try adding 3 tablespoons of apple-sauce instead. Just boil a diced and peeled apple until it can be mashed... I am sure you can get them at the stores as well. Or try adding an extra 3 tablespoons of milk. If you try it, let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
    2. Ok... I will. I was too impatient anyway the other day, so I used all of the ingredients except the eggs, and it still turned out really well!! One minute for a reduced measure (one tablespoon each of the self-rising flour etc). It rose really well. The first attempt, I kept for 2 mins + and it hardened out. Second time, exactly a minute, and it turned out awesome :)

      Delete
    3. Lovely! Did the little one enjoy it? :)

      Delete
  2. By the way, Guha is sure to fall in love with his neeraja aunty if he knows she is so talented with her cooking! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.