Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rasam Powder - Version 2

Every family has its own unique spice blends and treasured recipes for them. Every South-Indian family has its own version of sambar and rasam powders. I previously recorded my in-law's rasam powder spice blend. In today's post, I am recording one of my grandmother's (and mother's) version of rasam powder. My grandmother's sister sent us a home-made batch of rasam powder, which we have been enjoying in our rasams and broths.



Here is the recipe.
Please refer to my Glossary page if you'd like more information about the Indian ingredients listed in this recipe

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup dry red chillies
  2. 1 cup Toor Dal / thuvaram paruppu / yellow lentils
  3. 2 cups coriander seeds / dhania
  4. 3/4 cup black peppercorns
  5. 1/2 cup jeera / cumin seeds
  6. 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds / vendhayam
  7. 1 handful of curry leaves, washed and dried
  8. 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
Preparation:
  1. Separately dry roast each ingredient except curry leaves and turmeric powder until they turn golden brown. Keep aside.
  2. Dry roast the curry leaves until crispy and dry.
  3. Grind everything along with turmeric powder to make a fine powder.
Store in air tight jars. Store surplus powder in the freezer and transfer some powder for regular use as and when needed.



Use while making rasams.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ania,

    Thanks for your comment and for inviting my blog to join TastyQuery.com! I will add my blog soon.

    Regards
    Neeraja

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.