Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Neapolitan Cake

Neapolitan cake reminds me of cassata ice-cream. It has three layers of flavors - vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry to create a delicious combination. I thought I would try this cake for a friend's birthday. And since I'm recently addicted to trying out every possible cake from Piece of Cake, I picked out the recipe from the book. 


Two layers of basic yellow cake (flavored with vanilla extract) are baked with chocolate chips. The cakes are then frosted with yummy strawberry-buttercream.


I was quite excited about this cake, but this recipe isn't really the best out there. The cake was decent - you can't go wrong with chocolate chip cake with buttercream frosting, but the yellow cake wasn't that great, despite the batter being moist. And my other disappointment - all the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom of the cakes! I did toss the chips in some flour before adding to the batter. I also used the mini chocolate chips, but they still sunk. However, after stacking the cakes, the chocolate chips formed a nice mid-layer making the cake assembly look like it was layered with chocolate in the middle.


But I had fun baking and decorating the cake, and hopefully my friend and others enjoyed it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.