Saturday, August 29, 2015

Fruits & Nuts Bundt Cake

My first bundt cake! All these years, I put off buying a bundt cake-pan because I didn't need one more baking equipment to tempt and taunt me. However, I was recently absolved of all guilt because my husband picked it up because he felt like having a bundt cake.
I found an interesting recipe in Piece of Cake, called an Ambrosia Cake. It had pineapple, canned mandarin oranges, almond extract, cherries, pecans, and sweetened coconut flakes. What a medley of flavors! And what better way to christen the bundt pan!
I adapted the recipe to suit the ingredients I had on hand, and I played around with the measurements and technique accordingly. This is a dense and hardy cake that is sure to be a popular holiday dessert, and it serves a huge gathering!



Ingredients (adapted from Piece of Cake)
  1.  3 cups all purpose flour
  2.  2 sticks butter, at room temperature
  3. 2 cups sugar
  4. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  5. 1 teaspoon salt
  6. 3 eggs
  7. 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  8. 1 cup finely diced pineapple (roughly crush half of it to bring out the juices)
  9. 1 cup peeled and sliced oranges/clementines 
  10. 1 cup grated coconut mixed with 1 tablespoon of sugar 
  11. 1 cup slivered almonds
  12. 1/4 cup cranberries
  13. 1/4 cup raisins
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, and salt
  3. In an another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and smooth
  4. Add eggs and beat until pale and fluffy
  5. Mix in the diced pineapple (with the crushed juice), oranges, and vanilla extract
  6. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just incorporated
  7. Finally, mix in coconut, raisins, cranberries, and almonds
  8. Transfer the thick cake batter evenly into the bundt pan. 
  9. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a tester comes out with just a few crumbs
  10. Cool cake on a cooling rack for 20 minutes and then slowly invert cake onto a plate

Serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.