Sunday, July 6, 2014

Eggplant Gothsu / Brinjal Gothsu

This post is 3 years overdue. Three years ago, we planted 3 varieties of eggplants in our yard. And for a whole month, we were blessed with eggplants and more eggplants that we were overwhelmed. I think it was that year when we realized that we needed to plant small quantities of several different vegetables/fruits than concentrate on just 4 types of vegetables. I remember that summer of overflowing bags of tomatoes, bell-peppers, zucchinis and eggplants. Those were the only 4 veggies (or fruits) we had every single meal for a long time even after distributing many of them to friends and family! Anyway, so I was on an eggplant spree, and was making as many dishes as possible with fresh eggplants. And Gothsu was the first one everybody suggested that I make. 

I have realized that my version of gothsu (which God knows where I picked up from) is different from my mom's version, which is actually exactly the same as how my mother-in-law prepares gothsu. I add some moong dal to my gothsu, and I simplify the spices that go into it. But all in all, this is a tart and spicy side-dish that is easy to make.

Please refer to the Glossary if you'd like more information on the Indian ingredients listed here

Ingredients (serves 6):
  1. 1 medium-sized eggplant, diced (or 5-6 regular Indian brinjals)
  2. 1/2 small-medium sized red onion, finely chopped
  3. 1" ball of tamarind soaked in 1.5 cups of hot water
  4. 1/3 cup of moong dal / payatham paruppu
  5. 2 teaspoons sambar powder
  6. 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
  7. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  8. a few curry leaves
  9. 2.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
  10. salt, as needed
Preparation:
  1. Heat oil in a skillet. When hot, splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and turmeric powder and mix. 
  2. Add onion and fry until translucent. Add eggplant and fry until slightly browned and cooked. 
  3. Extract tamarind juice and add it to the eggplant. Add 1 more cup of warm water to the tamarind pulp and extract more juice and add it to the eggplant. Add an extra 1/2 cup of water. 
  4. Add moong dal, sambar powder, and salt and boil/cook of medium heat until the moong dal cooks. Add another 1 cup of water (or slightly more) while the dal is cooking, as the tamarind juice cooks down.

When the dal is cooked, remove from heat and serve as a side dish with venn-pongal or upma. Gothsu will be slightly watery (than sambar) and not too thick. 

I also commonly add tomatoes (just 1 or 2) and slightly reduce the tamarind (to 1/2 inch ball) to make gothsu in this same manner. It is very flavorful and easy to make as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.