Friday, August 10, 2012

Paal Peda (Milk Fudge)

I came across this nice instructional video for preparing Paal Peda in the microwave. It looked easy to prepare and a little low on fat and sugar (well, relatively). So, I tried it out yesterday and it turned out pretty decent. 


Originally, full fat milk is slowly heated with sugar and some butter until the fat thickens and comes  together. It is then rolled or shaped into fudge like pieces. My grandmother used to make awesome theratti paal (another name for this in the South). And it used to be my favorite sweet when I was growing up. I think of her every time I catch a whiff of its smell or name. 

Anyway, due to lack of sufficient time, I resorted to the microwave version. For a 5 minute version, it is actually pretty good, but it lacks the slightly caramelized milk flavor that comes from hours of patiently heating/stirring milk. One of these days, I will surely try the authentic version of this sweet. 


Several of my aunts are known for their microwave Paal Peda. They usually use just one ingredient - a few cans of sweetened condensed milk. The condensed milk is repeatedly heated in the microwave (heat-stir-heat-stir---loop) until the condensed milk can be rolled. In this recipe, 1/2 stick of butter and 2 cups of milk powder are used along with a can of condensed milk to follow a similar procedure. Only three ingredients and 5 minutes of your time - it can't get easier than that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.