Friday, February 3, 2012

Garam Masala Powder - Version 1

My simple (and rather obvious) hypothesis is that the success of most North-Indian based curries and gravies lies in the garam masala (or spice-blend) that goes into it. Although there are so many zillions of garam masala (and generic masala) brands in the market, there are probably very few that come close to the authentic blend prepared by expert home-chefs. With life being short, and the number of brands in the market increasing by the week, it’s almost impossible to test all of these to identify the optimal garam masala brand. So, I got into the habit of constantly pestering my North-Indian friends for suggestions and tips.

None of my Punjabi, Bihari or other friends from the north-western part of India use a store-bought masala. Oh no, they don’t. It is as sacrilegious as a madrasi or South-Indian using store-bought sambar powder. It’s close to blasphemy to even consider it. Everyone has their own home-grown, treasured recipe for the masala powder that’s so elusively perfect. And no matter how many times I have prodded, requested, and bugged them for the recipe or even a hint of it, they have all politely shook their heads feigning ignorance, or widened their eyes appalled at the audacity of my request to pry their precious family recipe. It’s understandable. I don’t blame them. But my curiosity doesn’t let me shelve the mystery so soon.

So, after all these years of sniffing different masalas, and experimenting now and then with a different mix, I narrowed down a couple of my favorite store-bought masalas. Then, I read the ingredients at the back of the pack and decided I would just experiment with the measurements and see what I end up with. So, that’s what I did. Of course, I don’t have access to all the exotic spices listed - clove leaves, stone flower etc. But that’s ok - I’m making a trip to the Indian store to comb the spice racks another time. But for now, here is a pretty decent start to prepare a very basic garam masala powder.

Much of the measurements are tuned to suit my preference in the olfactory and taste departments. For instance, I love cardamom - I’m close to obsessed with its aroma. So, to me, cardamom is a major masala note in most good masala powders. Cardamom + clove + fennel is a  favorite blend of mine. So they all feature. But since clove and fennel can easily overpower the delicate cardamom flavor, I have reduced their quantities in ratio to the cardamom. Mustard + Cumin + pepper + coriander is a very classic Indian flavor, so they are present too. In addition, other strong spices such as nutmeg + star anise + cinnamon are also added, but in muted amounts. I find these flavors to be distracting if added in excess. So, according to my half-baked knowledge and random experimentation, here is the formula.

Ingredients:
  1. 2 tablespoons cardamom seeds (not the husk/shell, just the seeds)
  2. 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
  3. 1 teaspoon of cloves
  4. 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
  5. 2 tablespoons black pepper corns
  6. 1 tablespoon cumin
  7. 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
  8. 1 dry red chilly
  9. 2 inch piece of cinnamon
  10. 1 star anise (or 2 small ones)
  11. 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preparation:
  1. Dry roast all the ingredients together (except the grated nutmeg) for 5-10 minutes until the aromas of the spices begin to assault the kitchen - in a good way
  2. Grind the cooled spices along with grated nutmeg to a fine powder.
  3. Store in an air-tight jar at room temperature.

Anand and I were pleasantly surprised by the results. However, being a lowly South-Indian, I do not make any claims that this is a lovely clone of the authentic recipe. No, it’s not. But most of the ingredients that make the classic garam masla are present in this (except for stone flower, clove leaves, black cardamom). In my next batch, I will probably experiment with the measurements a little more, add a few black cardamoms and stone-flowers, etc.

But even if this isn’t the authentic spice-blend, this experiment of mine is yet another unequivocal proof that freshly prepared spice-blends make SO much difference! The spices are much sharper, the aromas are stronger, and a little goes a long way to infuse so much depth of flavor to the dishes. So, if there’s anyone who questions the unnecessary need to make home-made masala when it’s easy to pick a couple of store-bought ones, trust me when I say, it makes a worthwhile difference. And besides, this is a fun “science” project!

2 comments:

  1. You know Neeru, one of the (few) great things about living in the Middle-East is that the wealth of spices here - both quality & quantity. You must have seen pics of souks and spice markets with heaps of spices and bright coloured powders. They are fresh and smell heavenly - much better than any boxed one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I would love to visit such a market and take in all the delicious aromas! Middle-Eastern spices are way potent and fragrant too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate it.